This guide gives step-by-step instructions on how to get connected to audio and video using the JackTrip Desktop app and your browser.
The desktop app handles the audio connection to JackTrip, and the browser handles the video connection.
Download the JackTrip app according to your operating system.
You'll also be prompted to download and install the latest version of JackTrip the first time you try to join a Studio.
Connect your hardware
Connect your audio gear to your computer with a USB cable, and connect your computer to your router with an ethernet cable (Wifi doesn't really work). Use headphones to prevent feedback loops!
Make sure to get the latest drivers for your audio device from your device manufacturer.
Other setup notes:
- Use a wired ethernet connection to the internet. We recommend these adapters from UGreen: USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt 3.
- Use headphones to prevent a feedback loop!
- Launch the installer we just downloaded
- Follow the installer prompts
- When it asks you if you’d like to log in with your Virtual Studio account, say YES
- Create an account if you don’t already have one
- Accept app permissions if prompted (Especially on MacOS- you need the microphone permission!)
Connect to a Studio
The easiest way to connect to both audio and video for a studio is by following the invite link or by clicking "Join" on the studio itself at app.jacktrip.org/studios
Invite links go to a preview page which helps connect both audio and video. Here’s what it looks like:
- Select your preferred camera (or turn video off)
- Connect your JackTrip app (or bridge) to the Studio
- Click “Join Studio” once the audio connection is established
Here’s what the preview page looks like once you have audio connected through the JackTrip Desktop App.
Invite other people
Whenever you're connected to a studio, you can invite other people by sending them the invite link.
Clicking "Invite" will copy the link to your clipboard, which you can then send to someone else. They'll be added to the studio subscriber list and prompted to download the App to get connected.
Hosting your own studio
Want to host your own studio? Check out How to Host a Studio
Joining with a JackTrip Bridge
If you have a bridge, you should instead read How to Join with a JackTrip bridge. You do not need to install the JackTrip Desktop app if you have a bridge.
We’re dealing with some cutting edge stuff. If anything goes wrong, never fear! We’ve got you covered.
Check out our help site: https://help.jacktrip.org/
Submit a support ticket: https://help.jacktrip.org/hc/en-us/requests/new
Or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org