What the heck is this thing?
The JackTrip Virtual Studio is an online platform by which you can play music together remotely over the internet.
It's like a conferencing platform for low-latency, high-quality audio. It lets people communicate together in near real-time!
To work, it requires some specialized hardware or software, and an online account at app.jacktrip.org.
Hardware or Software?
Each member of your group will need to connect to the Virtual Studio with JackTrip software. We make pre-assembled hardware called "Bridges" that already run all the necessary software. This can make setup a lot easier, especially for large groups.
Alternatively, you can install the JackTrip Desktop App on your computer. This method can save on some costs and cables, but takes a lot more setup!
If you're not sure which path is right for you, we recommend using the bridge.
The JackTrip Bridge: Should I Buy from Amazon, or Build my own?
The JackTrip Bridge is a tiny computer that runs the software necessary to connect the the Virtual Studio. It plugs into your router via an ethernet cable so that it can access the internet.
Left: Pre-built JackTrip Analog Bridge. Right: DIY JackTrip Digital Bridge with Raspberry Pi
There are a few ways to get your hands on a JackTrip Bridge:
- You can buy a pre-built JackTrip Analog Bridge from Sheet Music Plus, or
- You can buy a pre-built JackTrip Digital Bridge from Sheet Music Plus, or
- You can build your own Bridge using DIY Raspberry Pi Components
The JackTrip Digital Bridge lets you use a USB audio interface of your choice. Here are some examples of supported audio interfaces:
- An Audio Interface, like the Presonus AudioBox USB 96 or the Scarlett Focusrite 2i2
- A USB Microphone, like the Blue Yeti Nano or Rode NT-USB Mini
- An "Audio Adapter" (AKA "External Sound Card"), like the Sabrent Aluminum USB External Stereo Sound Adapter. These aren't the highest quality, but can be purchased very inexpensively.
You'll need a microphone so that others can hear your beautiful sounds.
You'll need headphones to hear the beautiful sounds of the other people you're connecting with.
You'll need a raspberry pi power supply and ethernet cable (CAT 5e or better).
Bridge setup details
If you have a JackTrip Analog Bridge, you can get more info about hardware setup here:
Step 1 (Analog Bridge): Getting the right gear
If you have a JackTrip Digital Bridge, you can get more info about hardware setup here:
Or, if you're all set up and ready to connect, go here:
JackTrip Desktop App setup details
If you'd like to use the JackTrip Desktop app, here is info on installing and connecting: